Sunday, April 19, 2009

Knitting has become more than a passion for me lately. I've branched out from just knitting my own projects to teaching, as I mentioned in my earlier post. I've also done some sample knitting for Melissa Leapman, designer for Knit 'N Style and author of numerous knitting and crochet instruction books. In April I crocheted a jacket in silk yarn that will be in Knit 'N Style this fall. It was a nice simple pattern and I can't wait to see it in the magazine! Melissa is great to work with and I really enjoyed the whole process. Here's a sneak peak:


Melissa has asked me to knit a jacket for her and the yarn just arrived from Cascade yesterday so I'll be casting on this week. This one will be denim blue in bulky yarn.

On another note, sock knitting is what I love to do and Cookie A, sock designer extraordinaire, asked me to participate in a test knit for a gorgeous cable twist sock this past week. This was my first time doing a test knit and found the process to be quite interesting and challenging. The sock had to be done in 6 days and was quite a complex pattern. Fortunately, I knit slower than many of the participants so the pattern revisions all happened before I knit to that place in the pattern. I knit fast and furiously all day yesterday to get the right sock done and it came out great! I can't post a photo until May 1st and hopefully by then I'll have a pair done!

Since January I have completed a few projects and below are photos of most of what I've been up to for the last few months:


The Sipalu bag from KnitPicks. This was a kit full of beautiful shades of blue and green, done in fair-isle knitting.


These are Through The Loop mystery socks that I knit one clue at time. A very nice pattern, knit in Berocco Ultra Fine Alpaca.


The Inside-Outside scarf from "Knit One Below", knit in Noro Kureyon. I taught a class for this scarf and found it a bit challenging to teach.



The Swallow Tail Scarf by Evelyn Clark, knit in Noro Kureyon Sock, with beads where the nupps would be in the lily of the valley lace.


My favorite: the Fake-A-Gamo bag! I just love it for the spring. Knit with Sugar and Cream and Arucania cotton. Lots of fun to knit!



These are Cookie A's Twisted Flower socks knit in Cascade Heritage sock yarn. Another fun and challenging pattern!



Finally, this is the circular shrug, knit with Caron Simply Soft Shadows.

Lots of fun projects finished and several more on the needles now: Little Blue Sweater, Turkish Heels and Bosnian Toes, Widdershins toe up socks, Cookie A's left sock test knit, Be Sweet diagonal scarf, and the sample jacket for Melissa. I guess I better get back to knitting.......

No comments: